Permission Forms for Stepfamilies
Because biological parents and stepparents don't have the same legal ties to children, special permissions are necessary for stepparents to, for example, give medical consent for a child to be examined by a doctor, take children on overnight trips away from home, and pick up school records.
Permission Forms: click to view/print each form (in PDF format)
We appreciate Dr. Margorie Engel, Expert Council, National Stepfamily Resource Center, for sharing these forms with Smart Stepfamilies. Used with permission.
- Stepparent Medical Permission - gives permission to stepparents to make medical decisions when necessary for a stepchild.
- Grandparent Medical Permission - gives permission for a grandparent to make medical decisions when necessary for a stepgrandchild.
- Caretaker Medical Permission - gives permission for a responsible adult (e.g., stepparent's brother or aunt) to make medical decisions when necessary for a stepchild.
- Travel Permission - gives a stepparent permission to travel with stepchildren (acknowledges the biological parent's awareness of the travel).
- School Duplicate Information - gives schools permission to share information about a child with both households, including parents and stepparents.